You know you are getting old, all right really old, when you use a famous movie quote at practice and your players have no idea what you are talking about. There are a handful of old sports movies with lines in them that I have always thought fit certain situations in our game perfectly.
Let’s see who can match the movie line with the game situation:
1. Buzz the Tower! (Top Gun) a. Player who is talking about quitting the game.
2. Sweep the Leg! (Karate Kid) b. Making the game seem bigger than it is.
c. Pitcher who is struggling with control.
3. I think you’ll see that the dimensions are d. Removing distractions so you can perform.
the same as our gym back in Hickory. (Hoosiers). e. Hard hit ball right back up the middle.
f. Breaking up the double play.
4. Talk to me Goose. (Top Gun). g. There are no participation trophies in life.
h. Working through adversity.
5. Do or do not, there is no try. (Star Wars). i. Looking for something or someone for
6. It’s supposed to be hard, it’s the hard that j. Do your best and accept the outcome.
makes it great! (A League of Their Own)
7. Clear the mechanism. (For Love of the Game)
8. If you ain’t first, you’re last. (Ricky Bobby)
9. What are you dying from that made you quit?
10. Just a bit outside! (Major League)
There are many many more movie lines that fit our game. I’m sure some of them come from movies in this century. I’d be happy to keep adding to the list so please send me all your suggestions at:
About the Author: Tory Acheson brings a wealth of knowledge to the Fastpitch Prep staff. He has coached at all levels of the game, including the last 25 years at the college level at the University of Wisconsin – Parkside, Tennessee Tech and Kennesaw State. He began his coaching career at the high school level spending 9 years Whitnall High School in Greenfield, Wis. and is now working as a professional softball instructor.
Answers: 1e, 2f, 3b, 4i, 5j, 6a,7d, 8g, 9h,10c